Monday, April 16, 2007

Peace

"Peace to you," Jesus says three times in chapter 20 of the Gospel According to John. This is his Easter gift to us. Earlier in chapter 14 he had said, "Peace is my parting gift to you, my own peace, such as the world cannot give. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."
The peace Jesus gives is not the absence of war. It is an inner peace that comes from the Spirit that the Risen Jesus breathes into me. The Spirit enables me to be still and, like breath, expands throughout my body and soul, my mind and will, bringing every part of me into harmony with every other part of me, making me feel together, at one with myself, at peace.
This same Spirit fills all other people and all other creatures in our world and brings us into harmony with one another. A deep spiritual tranquility comes from the growing awareness that the Spirit is breathing me into harmony with the Divine and with myself and with all creation.

No comments: