Monday, May 7, 2007

Aloha

I'm told that "Aloha" includes wishes for love and peace and is appropriately used to say hello and goodby. I am coming near finishing my time here in Hawaii. No easy access to the internet nor cell phones. Some of the time has been hectic but there has been time for reflection.
My sister lives in a clearing on an old lava flow. Can't see the neighbors. Can't see any lights at night. Good opportunity for solitude. If I were living there this blog could be called "Whole Hermit by the Lava." An afternoon spent there by myself was a precious gift.
I am in awe of the volcano. I became aware of the Divine in the enormous power and in the destruction that ends in creativity. The Hawaiians call her Pele. Something close to what the Scriptures call "the fear of the Lord." Living on the volcano I could almost sense the energy boiling deep within the earth and within myself.

No comments: