Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dandelions and Violets


Yesterday morning, my first morning home, was warm, sunny, perfect. During my morning walk I came across a small plot of dandelions and violets lighted by the early sun, the bold yellow and shy purple an arresting mix. Dandelions get a bad rap. Nobody tries to get rid of violets. Yet both are gifts of wild nature. Lots of other "weeds" blooming, signaling spring.
Not so the trees. When we look at our hills they are still not green. The leaves of most trees are just little curls of various muted colors. They are still afraid to trust the weather. Seed packets do say that our hills can't count on being frost free until mid-May. Surely though yesterday's warm sun and today's warm rain will coax the leaves to open a little further.
I was afraid that I stayed away so long that I wouldn't get to experience spring here in these hills that are home to me. I'm glad that new life is not complete, that I'll get to see leaves opening and the hills turning green. An important way God shows Godself to me.

No comments: