Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Contemplative Advent


Last night I came across a letter that I wrote when I was looking forward to coming here to live. Advent is a good time to renew my resolve. I wrote "I find myself inclined to a more contemplative life." Even in high school I seemed to like "meditation" or "mental prayer" more than many others my age. In my late 20's I often stayed overnight at a Trappist monastery to make a "day of reflection." Being here provides me with the liesure that is needed for a more contemplative life. In these last two weeks before Christmas I ask God to help me take advantage of the liesure.
In my letter I quoted Dorothy Day's quoting a Buddhist saying, "....the third period of life is the time of withdrawal from responsibility, letting go of the things of this life, letting God take over." I want God's help to value being over doing. To be still, to sit in silence.

No comments: