Sunday, January 13, 2008

Christmas Past


It's hard to believe that the Lake looked like this yesterday morning, January 12. That makes winter seem far gone.
Most of us have put Christmas away or are reluctantly still putting it away. We seem to have a natural instinct, aside from religious convictions, that makes us want to light up these darkest days of winter and push back the night. Now as the days grow longer we can let nature itself bring on the light.

I had a lot fewer Christmas decorations this year than usual because of some work being done in the house. I thought it might make my celebration of Christmas less enjoyable. As I look back on these past few weeks, however, it was the richest Christmas I can remember. Prayerfully and spiritually rich. It didn't have to do with the fewer Christmas decorations. It was just that I took more time just to be still, to sit down and recollect myself. The growing awareness of the Divine in me and in my life brings the peace that Christmas promises.

No comments: