Thursday, February 7, 2008

Beach Walking


I just came back from my first walk in my neighborhood since I returned from vacation a week ago. It is so quiet and peaceful. Walking for me is contemplation. Trees are bare. No wind. A gentle breeze here and there. 30 degrees. A little ice on the road. The stream under the road was high and flowing and also water in a ditch by the side of the road. I don't make any effort to think of a particular thing or to say prayers. The walking itself and the looking lull me into an awareness of the Divine.

While I was on Flamenco Beach, Culebra, three weeks ago I walked its two miles two and three times a day. The sound of the surf and the warm air and the fine sand under my feet and the few people playing or sunning themselves creates a kind of contentment and joy. Lying in the water and letting it support me was renewing. Flamenco is among the top three or four beaches that I have experienced in my 22 years visiting the Caribbean. It is the classsic horseshoe shape, open to the north, sunny all day. Invites contemplation.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: