Thursday, March 6, 2008

Best Offer

 

"Jesus offers you two things: your life has meaning and you are going to live forever. If you get a better offer, take it."
This is a quote from Father Eugene Walsh, the most influential priest in my life. We called him "Gino" and when he died these words were on the cover of the Mass program and on cards that people have cherished for a long time.
It is my belief that I am going to live forever that gives my life here and now meaning. I know that some people can dedicate their lives to art or to social justice, and they say that that gives meaning to their lives. No matter how satisfying the things to which I have dedicated my life, no matter how happy I am right now, that's not enough meaning to satisfy me. I believe that my relationship with God and with all the people that I love in this life will continue on into the next. That's what ultimately gives meaning to my life. I haven't gotten a better offer.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: