Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Finally Flowers

 

These groundsels are the first flowers I see blooming in the spring here in the mountains. This is about the third day that I have seen them. This morning was bright and sunny and warm. I took my camera with me on my walk and got a couple of pictures of them.
The county puts a kind of gravel on the roads for traction in the snow. At this time of year most of it is gradually moved to the sides of the road by the cars. Groundsels grow right up through this gravel alongside the roads. They grow close to the ground. We are not frost free until mid-May.
I was surprised to see that bees had already come out from wherever bees go in the winter and found these tiny flowers. They help me appreciate the truth of the saying that a weed is just a flower out of place.
The temperature reached 70 and I ate breakfast on the deck, enjoying the calm lake and the chattering tree swallows.
I feel so blessed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: