Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Duty of Delight

 

About a half hour ago it was pouring down rain but my room was glowing a muted sunset orange. When I looked out the window I saw that the setting sun was shining through the driving rain. I don't remember seeing this before. I guess it wasn't raining where the sun was setting. To get any pictures I had to stand on the deck in the rain. The picture that captures the event best has rain spots all over it. So this is my second favorite.
In current The Catholic Worker, a small newspaper, there is an article about Dorothy Day. In her diaries she often used the phrase "the duty of delight." Even when our world is nothing but worries and rain, the Spirit can fill us with joy and enable us to fulfill our duty of delight.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: