Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mindfulness

 

Yesterday was a perfect summer day. Sun all day. In the 80's. As I started my morning walk I was stopped by the beauty of these weeds and bushes and trees catching the morning sun. Shadow as well as light creating the scene.
I walk most mornings right after I do centering prayer. After spending some time letting God make me aware of God's presence within me, I am more mindful of God's presence around me, even in a common roadside scene. And a peace comes over me.
In a thought-provoking column in the current "America" magazine Margaret Silf is writing about the importance of mindfulness. She says, "Every square mile of this planet is holy ground if you walk it gently and mindfully and take the time to let it disclose its secrets. Every mile can be sacramental, waiting to reveal something of who God is, and no two revelations will ever be the same." I would even say it's "holy ground" whether we are aware of it or not. Prayer makes us mindful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: