Saturday, August 23, 2008

Autumn of Life

 

I think this is the first spot where I camped in this wilderness area about 25 years ago. Since then I have gone here two or three times a summer. Early on it was with two or three other guys to camp overnight. For about the last ten years it was just to hike in for six or seven hours with somebody else, and more recently alone. This hike was my first time this summer. I am not as sure-footed as I used to be and, of course, not as young. I found myself wondering with regret whether this might be my last time going in there alone.
Driving there as I went higher up into the mountains I saw an occasional tree with leaves already turning red and yellow. I found myself feeling a little sad that the full life of summer was coming to an end.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: