Friday, September 19, 2008

Unearned Love

 

In the parable of the landowner paying everyone the same wage no matter how many hours they worked Jesus is telling us that God is like this crazy farmer. God lavishes love on every human being as recklessly as this farmer throws his money around. It is so hard for us cautious lovers to really believe in a God like that. In Isaiah 55:8-9 God tells us, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts."
God loves us freely, graciously. Not only is there no need to earn God's love; there is no way to earn God's love. God's love is not a response to any good we may have done. Like the farmer in the parable God's love springs from God's own goodness and generosity.
Half my lifetime had passed before I really believed this Good News. A variety of experiences came together at that time to open my mind and my heart to God's unearned love. From then on my life has seemed effortless. It's like the difference between driving a clunky, old car and a new aerodynamically designed car. The old car struggles against all kinds of resistance. The new one glides effortlessly along the highway. No matter how many hard things we have to do in our lives, believing in God's unearned love brings a joy that is lasting.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: