Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Heaven Here

 

The very first poem in Mary Oliver's aptly named book, Evidence, is called "Yellow":
There is the heaven we enter
through institutional grace
and there are the yellow finches bathing and singing
in the lowly puddle.
It seems to me that more and more people are writing and talking about the age old conviction that God is in everything and everyone and every event. I suppose that I would say that this is at the heart of my spirituality. True, God is beyond creation as well; "out beyond the searching of the farthest star" was the way it was put in a hymn I remember from childhood. But it is the world around us that makes the Almighty accessible to us.
In a poem later in her book Mary Oliver says, "Sometimes I need only to stand wherever I am to be blessed."
I know that this is not a finch. I don't know what it is. I heard its pretty song in Mexico and finally got a picture.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: