Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lourdes

 

I saw the movie, The Song of Bernadette, when I was about seven. I think it was the first that I had heard about the appearance of Our Lady to this young girl at Lourdes in France. The movie made a deep impression on my developing religious imagination. It has stood the test of time. I watched it recently and was perhaps even more impressed with the kindness of Our Lady and with Bernadette's faith and determination in the face of official Church opposition.
I tend to be very sceptical. I would probably have been one of the last to believe the poor girl. At least I would hope that I would finally have come to believe. Even though we can't go chasing after every crying statue, we must know that God is full of surprises and be open to the possibility of that "other world" at times breaking through into ours in extraordinary ways.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: