Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Jesus' Peace

 

In bidding farewell to his disciples (John 14:27)Jesus says, "My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives." I love the very sound of the word "Shalom." It is an ordinary way to say goodby, but Jesus wants to make it clear that the "shalom" he gives is not ordinary. It is the deepest kind of peace.
The peace that Jesus gives is not the absence of war, nor the settlement of an argument, nor even a sentimental feeling of peace. His peace can hold my heart firm even in the midst of war and pain and trouble. It is a profound sense that I am safe in his loving embrace no matter what threatens me. Troubles in the country and in the church concern me, but they don't trouble my heart. They don't disturb this kind of shalom that the presence of Jesus within me brings with it.
"Teach us to care and not to care.
Teach us to sit still.
Even among these rocks
Our peace in His will." (T.S. Elliot)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: