Monday, June 28, 2010

Christ Freed Us

 

St. Paul in his Letter to the Galatians says, "When Christ freed us, he meant us to remain free." (5:1) I'm thinking that this freedom is closely related to freedom of conscience.
Paul often writes about the Risen Jesus' living within us and sharing his new life with us. That means that Jesus within us shares his goodness with us. This is the source of our Christian morality: Jesus within us sharing his goodness with us.
Jesus within me shares with me his way of thinking, of doing moral reasoning. He shares with me his conviction of what is right and what is wrong. He shares with me his will, his deepest desire to do always the right thing. He shares with me his prudence, his ability to decide what is the best thing to do in any particular circumstance.
When I act out of that sharing this seems to me to be closely related to following my conscience. Maybe they are the same thing. Listening to the promptings of my conscience seems very much like listening to the promptings of Jesus within me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: