Friday, June 18, 2010

Law Personified

 

We finished our retreat this morning and everyone has gone home. It was good being together with like-minded men for a week. It helps us to grow a little more in our awareness of God's presence in us and it helps us to surrender more completely in love to God within.
Matthew's Gospel seems to me to be saying that Jesus is not only the Lawgiver but is the very Law personified, not only the Teacher, but the Wisdom that is taught. In the Sermon on the Mount he says several times, "You have heard it said, but I say...." In 11:28-30 Jesus says "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble of heart....my yoke is easy and my burden light."
In Galatians 2:20 St. Paul says, "I live, now not I, but Christ lives in me." Jesus, the Law, lives in me and shares with me his knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. He shares with me his own way of behaving, his love for every human being. He becomes the source of my moral living, the prompt of my conscience. The more I surrender to Jesus living within me and the more I listen to his promptings, the better my chances are of doing the right thing.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: