Thursday, May 26, 2011

49th Anniversary

 

I think of wisteria as an old-fashioned plant, an appropriate decoration for my 49th anniversary of ordination. When I was a child my grandmother had a beautiful vine of it growing from the floor to the roof of her back porch. It's strong, spicy scent fills the air as I pass this one on my morning walk.
I think with gratitude of all the people who have helped me hang in there. My family's companionship. Good friends that have come my way through the years. Some priests who are close to me. The many parishioners who have made it clear that they like how I celebrate and preach. Through them God has encouraged me to remain.
Even my home here by the lake and the extra time for prayer and reflection that retirement has afforded me are Spirit of Love's way of holding on to me. It astonishes me.
I make my own the words of some Old Testament prophet who said, "You have seduced me, Lord, and I have let myself be seduced."
Posted by Picasa

No comments: