Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hidden Treasure

 

A thrilling gift this morning. As I walked along the road in the picture, enjoying this lovely grove of trees, I felt as if I was being watched. I looked closely through the shadows and finally saw a deer standing about where this picture was taken. She looked at me for a minute or two and then took off for the woods to the far left of this picture. As she ran she took three majestic leaps like nothing I had ever seen before. I've seen a deer leap a fence but never just leap for the kick of it. I felt blessed and joyful. It has made my day.
I was meditating yesterday on Matthew 13:44 where Jesus says that the Reign of God is like a treasure hidden in a field. Seeing this deer leap was like finding a treasure which was at first hidden in the field. I did not go and buy the field like the man in the parable. The experience did, however, help me to think about how God often surprises us by some revelation of Presence and Love in the most ordinary of places. Surprised by Joy, the infallible sign of the presence of God.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: