Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Cross?

 

In the midst of all this beauty where do I find the Cross. I've been meditating on Matthew 16:24-26 where Jesus tells us to take up our cross and follow him. I've reflected on some spiritual writers comments on suffering. But my life seems to be flowing so smoothly and I am so very happy now that I wonder what to do about what Jesus says.
It doesn't take a lot of effort to remember crosses in the past. Earlier this summer the pain of the shingles was intense. The worst suffering I remember was not physical but psychological, but that was half a lifetime ago. I can see the connection between the Cross and Resurrection, especially in that experience. Dealing with that psychological suffering brought me through to being a much happier and more mature person and set me off on continuing growth in my relationship with God.
A good summary of the last five years, however, is the first line of one of my favorite hymns, "My life flows on in endless song above earth's lamentations."
I know I am not to create suffering for myself. I know that to live is to change and change can cause at least discomfort. I guess I take the beauty and the joy of now as the new life that came from the pain and suffering of my earlier life. And to ready to embrace whatever cross may come my way.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: