Thursday, October 13, 2011

Give to God what is God's

 

This past weekend our trees seemed to be at their peak. The autumn colors were brilliant. This view across the Lake always lifts me up. It's impossible for me to drive around these mountains at this time of year without thanking God at every turn. It's a way of giving to God what is God's.
When the religious leaders try to trap Jesus (Matthew 22:15-21) into giving an opinion about whether it's right to pay taxes, Jesus expands the conversation by saying, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." "Sure, pay your taxes," Jesus says in effect, "but what is way more important is that you pay God his due."
The autumn scenery reminds me that God is everywhere and that everyone and everything belongs to God. So when Jesus tells me to give to God what is God's, that's everything, including the government and taxes, and my very self.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: