Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Stillness


Last Wednesday around the middle of the day I was sitting in my favorite chair on the front deck.  I had just read something about how to pray the psalms.  When I put the book down, I noticed the stillness.  There were no sounds anywhere.  No boats moving on the Lake.  No bird song even.
I became aware of God in the stillness and in the bright beauty before me.  I took this picture.  Then there was not much thought.  Just a Presence.  Maybe a feeling of complete contentment.  It lasted almost an hour.  I think this must be what Rahner meant when he said we all must become mystics, "everyday mystics."
Then the sound of a lawn mower in the distance broke the silence.  Way off a dog barked.  A bass boat sped into view. 
"God of the love that never runs out."  (Gordon Jackson, The Lincoln Psalter, Psalm 85)

No comments: