Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Half Hermit by the Sea


Now that I am retired I find that I move easily into vacation mode.  When I was working and went on vacation it would usually take me about two days to wind down and relax.
Since I was going by myself this year, I wanted to see if I could keep my half hermit lifestyle at a Caribbean beach.  I went to the beach in the morning and again in the afternoon.  Walking in the surf was like my long morning walk here at home, kind of a continuation of my earlier prayer.  I let my mind wander.  I would sometimes become completely absorbed in the sound and splash of the surf.
When I went into the warm water I felt carried away.  I love being in water.  I feel it's where I be-long.  Our bodies are mostly water.  Like God, it is around me and in me.  I would stand in the relatively calm water up to my neck and just look at the beauty in all directions.  The hills to the north slope down gently into each other and into the ocean.  There are white houses on the slopes.  Here the ocean view is not an awesome expanse of water.  It is broken up by several small islands at some distance and near them high waves crashing against a long line of reefs.  I turn and turn in the comfortable water and am lifted out of myself.

No comments: