Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Frost Beauty


A neighbor's yard March 22 two years ago!
Robert Frost's Birthday (1876-1963) One of my favorite poets.
I have often stopped by some woods and recited these lines out loud and added to the beauty:
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
  But  I have promises to keep,
  And miles to go before I sleep,
  And miles to go before I sleep."
I suppose I don't have so many miles to go before I sleep as I did when I met this poem in 1954 and wondered then what lie ahead.
From the poignant poem The Death of the Hired Man:
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
  They have to take you in."
"I should have called it
  Something you somehow haven't to deserve."
Another that has echoed down through my years:
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
  I took the one less traveled by,
  And that has made all the difference."

No comments: