Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gradually Enlightened


Memories of this winter's vacation still brighten my days.
For Scripture Prayer today I used John 9:1-41, the story of Jesus' healing the man born blind.  It prompted me to think about how my relationship with Jesus develops gradually as I come to know him better and love him more deeply.
One thing I hadn't noticed about this familiar story was that this blind man doesn't ask Jesus to heal him.  As he does in his relationship with all of us, Jesus takes the initiative.  With his own spittle and some dirt Jesus makes mud and puts it on the man's eyes.  Since he sends the man to wash it off in the pool of Siloam, the man doesn't get to see Jesus.  He has only heard his voice as Jesus said, "I am the light of the world."
Just as his healing didn't happen all at once, neither does his understanding of Jesus.  In answering a series of questions, he first merely describes what Jesus has done for him, then he calls Jesus a prophet, then he tells the Pharisees that Jesus is from God.  Finally the man sees Jesus.  Jesus has come looking for him and asks him if he believes in the Son of Man. When the man asks who that is, Jesus says, "I AM HE."  The man, now fully cured of his lack of understanding, says "Lord, I believe," and he worships Jesus.
We can never know Jesus completely nor can we ever love him enough.  Like all the healthy relationships in our lives, our relationship with Jesus must grow and develop.  We come gradually into the light of Christ.

No comments: