Friday, May 23, 2014

Lourdes


I came back last night from a pilgrimage to Lourdes.  Greece before that.  (Clicking on the picture enlarges it so that you can see the statue of Mary in the Grotto.)
Lourdes is one of the holy places that I have visited.  I know that God is present everywhere, but there are some places where I can feel the Divine in a more powerful way.  They are sometimes called "thin places."  The border between this world and the other world is almost non-existent.
Looking back on my experience, I would say that Lourdes is holy, sometimes because of, and sometimes in spite of, the very many religious events.  Some experiences heightened my awareness of God's presence which brought me to love God more.  My relationship with God is richer because of them.  Other experiences at Lourdes failed to deepen that relationship.
My favorite experience was the International Mass on Sunday morning.  We gathered in the underground church which holds 20,000 people.  It was full.  There were large groups of military there from all over the world.  The main purpose of the Eucharist is to build up the unity of the Church.  I found this celebration a splendid expression of world unity that created even stronger unity.  It made me think that peace is possible.
My least favorite experience was the Eucharistic Procession from Holy Rosary Basilica to the underground church.  It seemed planned with the idea that the longer and harder a service is the holier it is.  It was as if we were trying to make holiness happen rather that let it happen.
After the first day full of too many events I took part in fewer.  I found time and places where I could experience the holiness of Lourdes and let it nourish my relationship with God.

No comments: