Monday, June 2, 2014

Parthenon


It was a picture of the Parthenon on February's calendar that prompted me to go to Greece.  Seeing it was not the thrill that I expected.  It was impossible to find an angle from which to view it that was not marred by all the construction equipment.  They have been working for over 20 years to restore the temple -- as a ruin!
I did spend about two hours walking around the Parthenon thinking about the Golden Age of Greece during which it was built.  So much beauty in architecture and sculpture and philosophy and theater from that time has enriched our world down to the present.  It was one of the highlights of my ancient history course and of my philosophy years.
We think of the value of this temple to western civilization, but there were many Asians there to appreciate it as well.
Fortunately there was more of Greece that did thrill me.

No comments: