Friday, August 14, 2015

Secure


The May before I retired I took a long trip by car to Florida.  As I drove from west to east across Georgia I saw a sign for President Roosevelt's home in Warm Springs.  It was not something that I had even thought of, but I immediately turned off to make a pilgrimage to the house where he died.  I decided to make the pilgrimage to thank him for Social Security which was making it possible for me to retire in two months.  The pension from my job would not have been sufficient.
80 years ago today President Roosevelt signed the law creating Social Security.  There was much objection to it from left and right, but it finally passed Congress.  It has now become so much a part of our American life that we don't even advert to it.  A great example of caring for the common good.




No comments: