Friday, August 12, 2016

Nothing Mundane


You have ravished my heart
with a glance of your eyes.
      (Song of Songs 4:9)

How beautiful are your feet in sandals!
           (7:1)

My relationship with God was fed so well by Carey Walsh in her very accessible book, Chasing Mystery, that I decided to read Exquisite Desire, which she wrote 12 years earlier on the Old Testament book, Song of Songs.  She is very insistent that this short book is a poem spoken by two human lovers.  We must take it seriously as a poem of human desire before we use it as a metaphor for our relationship with God.
With that caution, I used some verses this morning for my scripture meditation.  The two verses above helped me to appreciate that I am undone by the simplest ways that God reveals Godself to me.


No comments: